Time required: Short-medium
Grading: Not required but maybe helpful
Why: Having students condense their writing to a 5×8 index card requires them to critically evaluate what to include – and gives you less to read.
- Assign a piece of writing that must fit on a 5×8 index card.
- Formats include –
- Students read material and condense it while keeping the structure and important points.
- Thesis Support
- Students take a position and provide support.
- Students are provided with data. They need to organize, connect, and draw conclusions from it.
- Present students with a puzzle or problem that can be solved using theories or principles related to course content. Students then explain the relevance of a theory or principle and solve the problem.
- It may be helpful to model the type of microtheme you are assigning.
- For a summary, model identifying the structure and main ideas from a reading passage.
- For a thesis support microtheme, you might want to highlight the critical elements in different colors using a longer piece.
- Instead of an index card, you can set a very limited word count – maybe 100-150.
- Microthemes are very adaptable to discussion boards because of the brevity of the writing.