This week’s tip: Freewriting
Time required: Short
Why: Freewriting is a very adaptable tool which can be used with students and for personal growth.
How: Set a timer and write!
- What is freewriting?
- Freewriting is unstructured writing.
- Choose a prompt or general topic – or just start writing!
- Set a timer
- Remember to just keep writing – no editing, no pausing, and no judgement
- Can be used for
- Getting over a writing or creative block
- Teaching reflection
- Instructional planning
- Later, you can use underlining, coding, and color to clarify your ideas
- You can use freewriting with students to prepare for a discussion.
- Before starting a new unit, you can find out what students know (or remember) about the topic.